Scouts & parents:
At the May 4th Troop Meeting we went over Backpack equipment basics. As promised, attached is a Backpack Gear Guide:
1st Page is various retailers
2nd & 3rd page is a Checklist
Next are descriptions of various items
REI is a good source for items as a local retail store (they stock most items all the time) with a good return policy but can be pricey. If you find an item you like, and you have time, research other online retailers for lower price. Another source is:
Items to spend money on:
1) Light 20 degree mummy sleeping bag; you can get a decent synthetic bag for around $50.00 or Down starting at $170.00; You save about 2lbs. and smaller compression size for Down.
2) Waterproof Sleeping Bag Compression Sack: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/1
3) Sleeping Pad: ultralight inflatable to just a “Z” Fold foam.
4) Backpack: sized & fitted correctly. Recommend REI Passage 65 Youth Backpack. Designed for Scouts.
5) Good Backpacking Lightweight Jacket: Synthetic or Down
6) Good Rain Jacket/Shell: Gortex type with hood and “pit zippers”
7) Good Backpacking Socks
If you have any questions, contact ASM Burt, Bass, D’Ambrosio, Hendrickson or me.
Brian Hanhart, Scoutmaster